Veteran players welcome new additions to the Oakland family

Incoming students show their excitement for the school year during first-year orientation.

Starting college is intimidating for any student. Moving away from home, having no one to clean up after you and sharing a room with a stranger are all foreign to most incoming freshman.

College athletics are intimidating as well. Stepping off the high school court and into a competitive Division I program can be frightening for any 18 year old.

However, Oakland athletic teams do a phenomenal job of reaching out to the freshman before they step foot on campus, according to Ben VanderWeide, incoming freshman and future Oakland swimmer.

“The team provides a welcoming atmosphere by being so friendly towards everyone,” VanderWeide said.

“For example, when I went to my freshman orientation, the kids on the team that were there for summer classes all came and ate with me during the lunch period. It made me feel like I was already apart of the team even before I’ve ever swam a practice with them.”

According to VanderWeide, the swim team invites incoming freshman to all team functions occurring in the summer. The team spends a weekend at head coach Pete Hovland’s house and extends the invite to the incoming class.

Current junior and Oakland point guard Kahlil Felder reflects on how the basketball team welcomed him as a freshman and how he now welcomes the freshman class.

“They welcomed me with open arms,” Felder explained. “Answered all my questions and whenever I needed help, I knew I could go to any of them. Before [the freshman] get here I reach out to them and tell them what is expected. We have a friendship before they even arrive and when they get here, I try to teach them what was taught to me as a freshman.” 

One tradition that was taught to Felder when he was a freshman still stands out to him now.

“We read a creed before every game.” Felder said. “The newcomers are expected to learn that. It talks about being a warrior and an Oakland University student-athlete, and the importance of team.”

Incoming freshman Xavier Hill-Mais and future Oakland basketball player can already feel the importance of the team that Felder described.

“I feel more than welcomed, I feel accepted,” Hill-Mais said. “These guys are like family now and I couldn’t ask for more. They share their experiences with me, good and bad, to help me along the way. Times can get hard but at the end of the day they all are my brothers.”

College athletics vary from university to university, as well as from sport to sport. One common ground found in all athletics at Oakland is the welcoming, safe and friendly atmosphere that is not found at most colleges.

“Out of all the other colleges, I would consider Oakland’s team atmosphere was the best by far,” VanderWeide said. “Everyone seems like they are together most of the time. It has more of a family feel than a team feel, but a family who has a lot of fun. I think the team atmosphere is one of the driving forces behind the success of the team. The fun team atmosphere makes it really easy to work hard together.”