MTD provides gateway

Oakland University sophomore Hannah Faith Stevens was nominated for the Irene Ryan Award due to her performance in OU’s fall musical comedy “Bullets Over Broadway.”

To become eligible for such a nomination, student actors must perform in both participating and associate productions. Then, these students gain consideration for regional scholarships.

Stevens performed a couple of solos throughout the production as the crazy showgirl Olive Neal, gaining her recognition for the scholarship nomination.

During each main show at OU, one or two students get nominated for the Irene Ryan. Along with Stevens, five other Oakland University students received a nomination due to their excellent performances this year. Those five other students are Olivia Ursu, Emily Hadick, Tony Sharp, Brandon Santana and Lily Talevski.

“Being nominated for the Irene Ryan shows me that all of my hard work and determination over the years is paying off,” Stevens said. “I am beyond excited to compete with my friends and to represent OU.”

This competition for the Irene Ryan award takes place in January at the American College Theatre Festival in Indianapolis.

During the competition, Stevens and her classmates will perform a variety of different acts.

“I will sing a solo, a duet, and perform a scene with my acting partner and best friend Emily Grossutti,” Stevens said. “There are three rounds to this competition. In each round, you get more time added on to your songs/scene to show more of your work.”

Dating back to 1972, the Irene Ryan Foundation of Encino, California, rewards students scholarships for their outstanding performances in each regional festival.

Being most remembered by her role in “The Beverly Hillbillies” as Granny Clampett, Irene Ryan’s generosity makes it possible for students to earn more scholarship money to pay for college.