Grizzlies volunteer to make a difference

On Oct. 24, 2015 volunteers across the nation will come together to impact the lives of others with Make a Difference Day.

According to Make a Different Day’s website, the event is a USA Today initiative backed by the Gannett Company, and is the nation’s largest day of community service.

“Our goal is simple. To unite people, on one day of service, to make a difference in their communities,” the website said. 

Volunteering with local non-profit organizations will not only benefit the community but it will also benefit those who decide to volunteer.

“Serving is one of the most important ways to give back and help those in need,” Emily DeLano, leadership and service learning coordinator, said. “It shows the community that we care and we just want Michigan to be in a better place.” 

“Students who participate in Make a Difference Day will learn about a community they’ve never been to, learn about what others go through, become thankful for the things they have and learn new things such as how to plant trees, how to waste less food and more,” DeLano said.

There are 600 spots in total for students who are interested in volunteering, and there are 16 different non-profit organizations participating in Oakland Universities Make a Difference Day, including Greening of Detroit, Gleaners Food Bank in Pontiac and Gleaners Food Bank in Detroit, and Forgotten Harvest.

“Students can’t give back money but they can give back time,” DeLano said.

DeLano has been overseeing Make a Difference Day for three years and OU has been doing it since its founding in 1991.

Niko Parks, career ambassador for Career Services, says that having volunteer experience on a resume shows that the student is going above and beyond in their college experience.

Getting involved whether it’s on or off campus is priceless,” Parks said. “You really get to know your professors and peers more.”

The last day to register to volunteer is Thursday, Oct. 23. For more information on Make a Difference Day, go to GrizzOrgs and search “Make a Difference Day 2015.”

Already registered? Please take note of the following information:

• Participants will receive an email on Oct. 23 by 5 p.m. with information about the site they’ve been assigned to

• Be prepared for outside work; wear warm clothing and layers.

• Participants are not guaranteed their site preference but will possibly get placed in one of their top two preferences

• Feel free to volunteer as a group, but students must sign up individually

• Participants receive a t-shirt and lunch

• Participants are responsible for transportation to and from (Carpooling!).

Agenda for Make a Difference Day is as follows:

• 7:55 a.m.-8:10 a.m. Volunteer Registration at Oakland University’s Fireside Lounge

• 8:20 a.m. Depart from OU

• 8:30 a.m-9 a.m.  Arrive between 8:30am-9am at designated site and begin service project

• 1:00 p.m. Participants have completed Make a Difference Day!