Find your sword – King Arthur

Djimon Hounsou (left) and Charlie Hunnam (right) on the set of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

Connor McNeely, Campus Editor

The moment of truth has come and gone – final grades have been administered. Whatever they may be, c’est la vie. As teachers release those remarks, it is in good health that students release their school-provoked stresses from tests, homework and deadlines.

Summer break is a crucial time to find fresh motivation and mentally decompress. It is a time to reflect on the prior school year and start making goals for the fall. School is tough and everyone gets that. Even “Sons of Anarchy” actor Charlie Hunnam gets that.

“My little brother is much, much younger than me and he just graduated university [at the] top of his class and I was so proud of him when I called — and I was away working,”  he said. “So, I called him and I said, ‘I’m just so proud of you.’ He was so dismissive and he said, ‘Yes, well maybe now I’ll be able to get a job at McDonald’s.’ And it was an insight into the youth of today.”

Hunnam played the lead role in Warner Brother’s “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword.” It is directed, produced and co-written by Guy Ritchie. The film hits theaters May 12.

“It’s a really universal story because ultimately it’s about how we become the best version of ourselves,” He said. “And so it’s a really lovely story and I think… the people that I’m most excited about seeing this film are the young generation because it seems to me that there’s a lot of disillusionment in the kids of today.”

College can be competitive, but every person has an innate purpose. Although initially reluctant to accept his extraordinary powers, Hunnam faces the realization of his destined greatness in “King Arthur.”

In medieval history, the character legendary King Arthur fantastically drew an iron sword from a granite slab, which unlocked his power. Ritchie’s version, however, is a contemporary origin story based off of the original mythical character, which follows the king’s adolescent years as he fends for himself against the thieves who surround him.

Djimon Hounsou, whose most notable appearances were in “Blood Diamond” and “Guardians of the Galaxy,” acts against Hunnam as the villain Bedivere.

“I think it’ll attract a lot of people and certainly most of us can relate to this king,” Hounsou said. “Certainly, this interpretation of the guy.”

As the weather starts to warm up, we reassess academic goals for next semester and keep an eye out for new hobbies that spark interest. Just as Arthur was unaware what his future would bring until he pull the almighty sword from the stone, many students face similar pressures. That is, until they find their sword.

1 Comment

One Response to “Find your sword – King Arthur”

1. Nangie on May 9th, 2017 9:00 am

Great article Connor keep the articles coming!!

[Reply]

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

“Bah, Humbug” is far from Thomas Mahard’s attitude on “A Christmas Carol”

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Detroit artist gets ready for release of new EP

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

George Sanders profile

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

OUWB raises awareness on World AIDS Day

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Oakland research stretches abroad

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Lights brighten up local businesses in downtown Rochester

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

How to make killer meals with your Thanksgiving leftovers

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Meadow Brook Holiday Walk lights up the town

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Piano program offers opportunity for students

• Find your sword – King Arthur

Life

Art professor gets awarded by peers