Letter to the Editor regarding Alex Stevens’ article “Academic left shelters students from diversity of thought”

Dear Mr. Stevens,

I will be quite frank in saying that I do not believe that you fully understand or respect the fear that has gripped this nation post-election.

The fact that you seem angered that Oakland University is offering counseling to those who are facing extreme apprehension and perhaps downright suicidal thoughts as a result of Donald J. Trump’s unexpected Electoral College victory unnerves me.

The people who are afraid and who need this support offered by the university are not simply sheltered from the ideals of the politically conservative, but are afraid of them.

The Mexican, Hispanic and Latino communities, both naturalized and not, are scared because America elected a man who began his campaign with the words “Mexico is sending us their rapists.”

The LGBTQIA+ community is scared because Trump selected a vice president-elect who believes that gay people can be “cured” through electrical shocks.

The Muslim community is scared because of Trump’s proposed “Muslim Registry” that was “inspired” by the internment of Japanese-American citizens during the second World War.

Many women are terrified because a man who said he can grab a woman by the genitals and get away with it — and another man who believes that women should only stay at home and take care of children — were elected to the office of president and vice president, respectively.

And the disabled community, of which I am a member, is terrified because Trump stood on a stage in front of thousands and openly mocked a disabled reporter with not a single hint of regret in his voice.

You stand here now, saying that all of these people with legitimate concerns about the election of a man who has repeatedly used racist, misogynistic and prejudice-tinted rhetoric should not require counseling and affirmation that they do exist and they do matter.

Why? Why do you think it is right to say such a thing? The response of the university is not sheltering. This is affirmation that every man, woman and non-binary individual who attends OU exists and matters.

In your quest to write about how left-leaning individuals need to explore the reasonings as to why Trump won the election, I believe that you have neglected to follow your own advice, and instead took to the typewriter to (ironically) spread your opinion in a newspaper funded by a university that is apparently sheltering its students.

Think for a second as to why so many are requesting counseling following this event, and then decide whether or not it’s a shame that OU is listening to its students.

Thank you for your time,

Nicholas C. Drabant

Sophomore, Creative Writing Major

Read Alex Stevens’ article “Academic left shelters students from diversity of thought” at https://oaklandpostonline.com/12750/opinion/academic-left-shelters-students-from-diversity-of-thought/