Professors take turn at the OUAG

By SHANEIA CALDWELL

Contributing Reporter

A group of art professors from different backgrounds are bringing their individual ideas, cultures and art mediums to create one show.

Students can now view faculty art work at the Oakland University Art Gallery.

The biennial faculty art exhibition, “Image and Text,” will run Jan. 12 through Feb. 24.

“Every piece is different,” said art gallery director Dick Goody. An instructor at OU for 15 years, Goody has been the gallery director since 2000.

Throughout the exhibit the artists portray their thoughts to the audience by using images, text or a combination of both. At the exhibition, art is explored through a variety of mediums, including photography, painting and new media.

Goody said the faculty members don’t have much in common besides being artists and teaching art.

The exhibition features work from the entire Art Department. The list includes Kyohei Abe, Claude Baillargeon, Martyn Bouskila, Andrea Eis, Susan Evans, Lynn Galbreath, Dick Goody, Chris McCauley, Sally Schluter Tardella and Vagner Whitehead.  

“We think it’s important for students to see their professors’ teaching style, especially if they’re taking a drawing or painting class,” Goody said.

Faculty members might have been inspired by their students’ pieces but the work is done solely by the professor.

Goody describes his piece as a femoral, something that isn’t here for very long.  His piece is a combination of a symmetrical drawing and actual objects.  “There is no story, it takes you out of the rim of art and into the actual physicality,” said Goody.

The England native has organized more than 40 exhibitions.

“It’s nice to be able to see what your professor does outside of class,” said Karly Feeman, senior studio art minor and psychology major.

Feeman said she think it’s important that professors are shaping their students and function as an artist at the same time.  

“Not many people at this university have been to a gallery,” Goody said. “They need to see it even if someone has to hold their hand.”

Goody advises that visitors bring a friend to share dialogue.

The artists’ panel discussion will be held Jan. 29 at 6 p.m. and is free and open to the public.

The Oakland University Art Gallery is located in 208 Wilson Hall, across from Meadowbrook Theatre.

The gallery is open Tuesday through Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. and during Meadowbrook Theatre evening performances.