OUSC tailgate sponsors pride in Grizzly athletics

OU students enjoyed the warm weather and good food provided at the OUSC tailgate.

Perfect weather, good food, and great times were all included at the OUSC tailgate held before the first Oakland University baseball home game of the season, where the OU men’s team took on the University of Illinois at Chicago on Friday, April 11.

The tailgate was held in front of the Rec Center and included gourmet hot dogs, tacos, music by WXOU, and a visit from both the Grizz and the Detroit Tigers mascot, Paws.

Junior and student-athlete Devon Mahieu attended the tailgate to have a good time and support the baseball team.

“It’s a good opportunity for students to go out and make friends,” Mahieu said.

She said the tailgates are “good for school spirit” and for creating a family dynamic within athletics.

“I try to go to as many as I can,” Mahieu said. “We’re one big family.”

OUSC legislator Josh Pokrefky organized the event and was very pleased with the outcome.

Pokrefky was on Marlee Hanna’s tailgate committee within OUSC, and she helped him organize this event, Pokrefky said.

He said the event provided great exposure for two of the things he is most passionate about at OU.

“It markets for OUSC, it markets for athletics,” Pokrefky said.

Pokrefky first worked for both the men and women’s basketball teams, which he said helped him to get involved with OUSC. 

He credits his work with the basketball teams with his drive for school spirit, Pokrefky said.

He said he also has meetings with the Coordinator of Marketing and Promotions for Oakland University Athletics, Taylor Blakely, to discuss how OUSC can contribute to athletics promotions.

“I still want it (OU) to be a fun place to be,” Pokrefky said. “[I want students to] be proud to be a Grizzly.”

Pokrefky was recently elected to the judicial branch of OUSC but will continue to serve on the tailgate committee.

Contact Staff Reporter Ali DeRees at [email protected]