OU levels up with new parking deck

Backpacks and schedules are full, books have been purchased, and yes, the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is back. Its early September, and classes are officially in session.

Whether students are making a 30-minute commute to campus or a taking a 30-second walk from dorm room to classroom, there’s one thing that Grizzlies just can’t ignore — Oakland University’s immediate shortage of parking spaces.

For both residents and commuters alike, many wishes have been granted in the form of the four-story, 1,240 space parking deck located in P-32, opening for the fall semester.

Even though parking in popular lots P-1 and P-2 may seem like the most convenient choice, Student Body President Annie Meinberg and Vice President Liz Iwanski disagree.

“Students are going to save time parking in the structure rather than searching for an empty spot in P-1,” Iwanski said. “You will probably actually save time by not patrolling P-1 to look for a space (and) you will arrive to class far less stressed and ready to learn.”

Not only does the new parking structure boast four levels and a slew of new spaces, but it’s also located on prime real estate — close to many of OU’s most popular buildings, many of which hold general education and freshman classes.

“(The structure) is very close to Kresge Library, the new Engineering Center, Elliot Hall and the surrounding academic buildings,” Iwanski said. “When students park in P-32, this clears up spots for P-1 and P-2.”

This is good news for those who do still need to park in P-1 or P-2, as the new structure could alleviate some of the strain put onto two of OU’s most popular lots, saving students both time and frustration.

With more spots available, potentially lessening the need for traversing large distances across campus, will the Bear Bus still be a relevant part of OU culture? Iwanski said that’s a yes — now more than ever.

“The Bear Bus will be essential for students, especially residents,” she said, “since this year there will be a 24-hour route from the parking structures to the residence halls.”

More spaces and less stress for students are the goals of P-32, to provide incoming freshman and upperclassmen alike with ample parking to alleviate some of the tension felt for years over OU’s lack of parking spots.

Meinberg leaves students with a helpful piece of advice as they trek to campus for the first time this Wednesday.

“Don’t get in the habit of parking in the same spot every time,” she said. 

What buildings are near P-32?

• Kresge Library
  • Elliot Hall
  • Varner Hall
  • NEW Engineering Center
  • Dodge Hall
  • Pawley Hall

Annie & Liz’s Parking Tips

• Commuters — leave early!
  • Don’t park in the same place every day
  • Do explore campus by parking in different areas
  • Enjoy a leisurely walk to class
  • If you arrive to campus early, visit Café O’Bears or Einstein Bagels in the new Engineering Center