Students, faculty and staff were evacuated for about 10-15 minutes until the Auburn Hills Fire Department declared the building clear, according to Richard Fekel, OC Building Director.
According to the OU Police Captain Mark Gordon, a Chartwells chef was cooking meat in the kitchen when another chef shut off the hood fan.
Too much smoke was created, which caused the alarm to go off, Gordon said.
Gordon said employees have been given proper instructions to prevent this from happening again in the future.
The Oakland Post will continue to update the story as more information becomes available.