Athletics to fund Motor City Madness tickets, transportation for students

Motor City Madness is fast approaching. The Horizon League Tournament for both the men’s and women’s basketball teams starts on Friday, March 3 and lasts until Tuesday, March 7 at Joe Louis Arena. All 10 teams in the conference will battle to become the next Horizon League Champion.

This year, thanks to Oakland University Athletics, students will be offered a select number of tickets and transportation to see the games in the heart of Detroit. Athletic Director Jeff Konya made the arrangements.

“We are looking at about 200 tickets available for each session, which will be no cost to students that sign up for the tickets and take the bus to the games,” Konya said. 

Students could head to the Oakland Athletics ticket window in the O’rena to sign up for the tickets beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 27.  All students must bring to sign up is their student IDs. The first 100 signees will also receive bus transportation to the games.

The tickets will give the students access to both the men’s game at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and the women’s game at 2:30 p.m on Sunday. As the teams advance, 200 additional tickets will go on sale for each game.

“I think, last year, the students and fans did a great job of supporting the Black and Gold,” Konya said. “I think this is one of the reasons we want to take advantage of having the tournament relatively close by. I hope we have a great turnout this year to support our teams.”

Check the Golden Grizzlies social media for updates.  For more information on how to get tickets for Motor City Madness, visit the Oakland Center or the O’rena during the week of Feb. 27.