10 Tips for Incoming Freshmen

As summer comes to an end, students around the world are hearing three words over and over: “back to school.”

At Oakland University, thousands of eager, nervous incoming freshmen will enter a new chapter in their lives this week. Some students will be leaving home to go 10 miles away, while others will be 1,000 miles from home. Regardless of the distance, every student will be pushed out of their comfort zone as they prepare to experience their newfound freedom. For some, the transition from high school to college will be easy. Others will experience homesickness and have second thoughts, but if this happens to you, don’t be alarmed just yet.

Below, find advice from four upperclassmen and an advisor from OU’s First Year Advising Center (FYAC) to help you be successful on your journey as a new Golden Grizzly. These four individuals have been where you are now, so let’s see what they have to say!

1. JOIN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!

“Get involved in a student organization on campus. It’s a great way to meet new people with similar interest. It made my OU experience a lot more fun.” – Jessica Allen, Senior

2. MEET WITH ALL YOUR PROFESSORS OUTSIDE OF CLASS.

“Use your professors’ office hours if you need a little extra help. That’s what they are there for, so take advantage of those hours.” – Paige Efting, Senior

3. BE ATTENTIVE.

Sit at the front of your classes and actively participate during lecture. Showing passion for your education makes you stand out and could give you favor with your professor.” – Alex Currington, Junior

4. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

“Try new things. You never know what you’re going to like and college is the time to explore different things and see what you like. I never thought I would enjoy Greek Life, but being a part of my fraternity, Alpha Sigma Phi, has been one of the best things in my life.” Brian Petty, Junior

5. STAY ORGANIZED.

“Find a planning system that works for you (examples: calendars, planners, phone etc.) and actually use it! Success is all about planning!” – Jennifer Janes, Senior Academic Advisor for FYAC

6. DO YOU KNOW YOUR MAJOR? IF NOT, DON’T WORRY!

“It’s okay to not know what major you want to go with right away. Everyone has their own pace.” – Jessica Allen, Senior

7. UTILIZE YOUR RESOURCES.

“Use ratemyprofessor.com. It lets you know what other students think of the professor. Just remember to read all the reviews possible. Students will have different experiences, so don’t listen to one person.” Paige Efting, Senior

8. KNOW YOUR INNER CIRCLE.

Be selective with who you choose to surround yourself with. Your circle of friends can affect you and your success more than you realize.” – Alex Currington, Junior

9. CHECK OUT WHAT’S GOING ON AROUND CAMPUS.

“Attend events! This is in addition to getting involved! Attending different events like the Student Program Board Carnival, Walk to Meadow Brook Hall with the Greeks, Center for Multicultural Intiatives BBQ and so many more that I can name has filled my college years with so many great memories. Plus, all the free food and stuff I got was a huge incentive!” Brian Petty, Junior

10. GET CONNECTED.

Find at least one way to get connected to campus in your first semester. This could be achieved many different ways, check out a student organization meeting, join Greek Life, spend some time volunteering, there are so many new things to try! College is what you make of it!” – Jennifer Janes, Senior Academic Advisor for FYAC

College is supposed to be fun! Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all fun and games. . . some hard work is involved. Make the most of your college experience and use your resources friends, professors, classmates, textbooks, The Tutoring Center, Kresge Library and more and don’t forget to treat yourself to Starbucks or Au Bon Pain during those late night study sessions as you prepare for exams or try your hardest not to fall asleep when writing a eight-page paper. Enjoy your first year and the years to come as much as possible, while getting the most out of your college experience!